Other Announcements of Interest
The European Philosophy of Science Association (EPSA) calls for proposals for the venue of EPSA19, its seventh conference, to be held in the autumn of 2019. The biennial conference is the main scientific event of EPSA, typically attracting 300-400 philosophers of science from across the world. It usually comprises 180 contributed and symposia talks, organized in as many as eight different sections, and taking place in five or six parallel sessions. A selection of the best talks is published as a volume in the new Springer series European Studies in Philosophy of Science (EJPS).
The conference is typically hosted by a philosophy of science unit, and its venue must be a recognized European academic or research institution. The event takes place in the autumn over a period of 3-4 days (which must include a Saturday) in alternating years to the conferences of the Philosophy of Science Association (PSA). Past conferences have taken place at Madrid (2007), Amsterdam (2009), Athens (2011), Helsinki (2013), and Düsseldorf (2015). EPSA17 will take place in Exeter, UK.
A Local Organizing Committee (LOC, typically comprising 5-6 people) is set up at the host institution – with a remit to organize the event itself. About one year in advance the Steering Committee (SC) of EPSA puts out a call for papers and selects a Program Committee (PC) comprising distinguished philosophers of science. The LOC, SC and PC are non-overlapping sets of people, with the exception of the Chairs of the LOC and PC, who may be drawn from the SC. The Chairs of the LOC and PC are also expected to act as joint editors of the conference volume.
- The name of the organizing unit or research institution.
- The name of the academic or research institute hosting the event.
- The proposed dates in the autumn of 2019 (expected to be a long weekend from end of August to end of November of 2019).
- The names of the members of the LOC, including Chair(s) and/or Deputy. Please note that the members of the LOC have to be EPSA members.
- The CV of the Chair or the Chairs of the LOC.
- An estimated budget proposal, including rough estimates for the following expenses: a) building and facilities, b) catering, c) conference registration packs (x 200 delegates minimum), d) personnel, e) expected finical contribution by the host institution and/or a funding agency.