Other Announcements of Interest
Tenure-track Assistant Professor of Philosophy of Science (211-0463)
Department of Science Education Faculty of Science
University of Copenhagen
The Department of Science Education, Section for History and Philosophy of Science seeks an excellent scholar for a tenure-track assistant professorship in philosophy of science, preferably with a specialization within areas of relevance to scientific practice and/or to science education (e.g. philosophy of science in practice, socially relevant philosophy of science, integrated history and philosophy of science, or similar).
The tenure track assistant professor’s duties will primarily include research, including obligations with regard to publication/scientific communication and research-based teaching with associated examination obligations within philosophy of science for science students, especially in the biological and chemical sciences. To a limited extent the position may also include other duties.
The tenure track assistant professor must have an academic standing showing internationally competitive research, and/or have internationally recognized high potential to make a future impact. The Department collaborates closely with other departments at the Faculty of Science, and applicants should have sufficient competences in the natural sciences to develop and participate in cross-departmental collaborations on courses at the BSc, MSc and PhD level.
Assessment of applicants will primarily consider their level of documented, internationally competitive research. The ability to attract external funding will be considered together with outreach qualifications. Teaching qualifications are not mandatory but documented teaching qualifications and teaching experience will be considered.
The position is open from June 1, 2017 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Further information on the Department is linked athttp://www.science.ku.dk/
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
The starting salary is currently up to DKK 408,730 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 69,893).
Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The tenure-track programme An assigned mentor will provide the tenure-track assistant professors with guidance related to career development, other academic topics and administrative procedures.
Performance of the tenure-track assistant professor will be followed via internal yearly evaluations and a mid-term and final international evaluation by an assessment committee. If the ‘final appraisal’ is positive you will be promoted as associate professor. Performance and progression towards the criteria below will be evaluated with due consideration of differences between research fields.
Criteria for promotion
After a 6-year tenure-track period tenure-track assistant professors are expected to meet the following criteria:
• A strong publication track record within the specific field of research, including a significant number of corresponding authorships and at least some publications in high-ranked journals based on work carried out during the tenure-track period
• Strong external network of collaboration, including joint publications
• A track record of successful external research funding
• Establishment of a strong and internationally competitive research program demonstrating clear independence of former supervisors/mentors, or/and major contributions to the development of an existing research group demonstrating an ability to collaborate within the research group
• Successful supervision/co-supervision of MSc and PhD students
The application including all attachments must be in English and submitted electronically through the University of Copenhagen job portal: http://jobportal.ku.dk/tenure-
• Curriculum vitae including:
o Please describe and document international network and relations
o Please describe and document internationally based activities
o Positions held at universities/research institutions outside Denmark
o Outreach activities, i.e. popular lectures or other activities in the media
o Grants held, personal or in part. Career development grants.
• Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
• Research plan - description of current and future research plans
• A description of how the applicant perceives the role of philosophy of science in science education at various levels, how to teach philosophy to science students, and the range of science programs in which the candidate will be qualified to develop cases and other forms of teaching material for courses in philosophy of science.
• If available, description and documentation of teaching and supervision experience and qualifications- please describe and document:
o Experience with supervision of BSc and MSc students
o Teaching experience
o Formal pedagogical training
• Complete publication list
• Separate reprints of up to 5 particularly relevant papers
The deadline for applications is 8 January 2017, 23:59 GMT +1.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process athttp://employment.ku.dk/
Interviews/trial lectures will be held on 23 March 2017.
Please refer to the following no. in future communication in this case: 211-0463.