Results of 2010 PSA Election
On behalf of the Governing Board of the Philosophy of Science Association, it is my pleasure to announce the results of the 2010 PSA election.
Helen Longino of Stanford University has been elected President of the PSA. Professor Longino will serve a two-year term (from January 1, 2011 through December 31, 2012) as Vice-President of the PSA, after which she will serve a two-year term (January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2014) as President of the Association, delivering the PSA Presidential Address at PSA2014 in San Diego, California.
Robert Batterman of the University of Pittsburgh, John Dupré of the University of Exeter, Alan Richardson of the University of British Columbia, and Miriam Solomon of Temple University have been elected to the Governing Board for the PSA. In order to facilitate the transition to single four-year terms for members of the Governing Board, the PSA Governing Board voted at its 2010 Annual Meeting to ask Roberta Millstein and Stephan Hartmann to serve through the end of 2013. The Governing Board also voted to select (either as volunteers or, in the event there were no volunteers, randomly) two of those Governing Board members elected in the 2010 PSA Election to serve two rather than four-year terms as members of the PSA Governing Board, with the option to run again for PSA Governing Board in the 2012 PSA Election for a full four-year term. Alan Richardson and Robert Batterman volunteered to serve two-year, rather than a four-year, terms.
Consequently the PSA Governing Board is presently comprised of:
- President: James Woodward California Institute of Technology Term: 2011/01/01 - 2012/12/31
- Vice-President: Helen Longino Stanford University Term: 2013/01/01 - 2014/12/31
- Previous President: Nancy Cartwright London School of Economics University of California, San Diego Term: 2009/01/01 - 2010/12/31
- John Dupré University of Exeter Term: 2011/01/01 - 2014/12/31
- Miriam Solomon Temple University Term: 2011/01/01 - 2014/12/31
- Stephan Hartmann Tilburg University Term: 2010/01/01 - 2013/12/31
- Roberta Millstein University of California, Davis Term: 2010/01/01 - 2013/12/31
- Robert Batterman University of Pittsburgh Term: 2011/01/01 - 2012/12/31*
- Alan Richardson University of British Columbia Term: 2011/01/01 - 2012/12/31*
- Nancy Nersessian Georgia Institute of Technology Term: 2008/01/01 - 2011/12/31
- Andrea Woody University of Washington Term: 2008/01/01 - 2011/12/31
The Officers of the PSA congratulate and welcome Professor Longino on her election to the Presidency of the PSA, and congratulate and welcome Professors Batterman, Dupré, Richardson, and Solomon to the PSA Governing Board! The Officers also offer deep appreciation and thanks to John Norton (University of Pittsburgh), Sandra Mitchell (University of Pittsburgh), Heather Douglas (University of Tennessee), and P. Kyle Stanford (University of California--Irvine), all of whom are stepping down from the Board after serving two consecutive two-year terms. Last and hardly least the Officers of the PSA thank the PSA Nominating Committee, comprised of C. Kenneth Waters (University of Minnesota), Alison Wylie (University of Washington), and, as chair, Margaret Morrison (University of Toronto), for assembling a stellar ballot.
I am happy to report that of the 687 Full Members of the PSA eligible to vote at the election's start, 281, nearly 41%, voted electronically in response to email solicitations. This was the highest turn-out in the past three years, i.e., since records have been kept.